The Lynden Police Department accepts applications for employment only when a vacancy occurs or we start our hiring process for a new position. We do keep a list of interested individuals who we will notify in the event a position opens. The minimum basic requirements for police officer applicants are:
- Must be at least 21 years old
- High school graduate or possess a GED, successful candidates often have college or university educations
- Washington driver’s license & a good driving record
- United States citizenship
- No felony convictions
- Successfully pass written, oral, and/or physical testing
- Successfully pass a complete background check
- Pass a psychological and physical exam
- Once hired, must pass the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Program for basic law enforcement.
The Lynden Police Department strives to hire individuals who possess outstanding integrity, who are mature, responsible, maintain high standards of performance, and qualify for public service. For this reason, all applicants must successfully pass a complete background check which may include the following:
- Any criminal activity and/or associations
- Drug and alcohol use
- Personal and/or legal behavior
- Employment history
- Financial/credit history
- Military service
- Investigation into any aspect of your behavior or your background which will confirm that you are qualified for the position.
If you would like to be notified when openings occur, you may either send us a letter or email to [email protected] stating your interest. Your name will remain on the list for at least one year. If you wish to stay on the list, please contact us each year and we will be happy to update our list. Please include the following information:
- Position you are interested in (officers or support staff)
- Please specify if you have previous law enforcement experience, education, or other work that is relevant.