The Lynden Police Department accepts applications for employment only when a vacancy occurs or we start our hiring process for a new position. We do keep a list of interested individuals who we will notify in the event a position opens.
The minimum basic requirements for police officer applicants are:
- Must be at least 21 years old
- High school diploma, or equivalent supplemented by a two-year degree
- Washington driver's license without record of suspension or revocation in any state
- United States citizenship
- No disqualifying criminal convictions
- Successfully pass written, oral, and/or physical testing
- Successfully pass a complete background check
- Pass a psychological, polygraph and physical exam
- Once hired, must pass the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Program for basic law enforcement.
The Lynden Police Department strives to hire individuals who possess outstanding integrity, who are mature, responsible, maintain high standards of performance, and qualify for public service. For this reason, all applicants must successfully pass a complete background check which may include the following:
- Any criminal activity and/or associations
- Drug and alcohol use
- Personal and/or legal behavior
- Employment history
- Financial/credit history
- Military service
- Investigation into any aspect of your behavior or your background which will confirm that you are qualified for the position.
Share Your Interest & Get Notified
If you would like to be notified when openings occur, you may either send us a letter or email the Lynden Police Department stating your interest. Your name will remain on the list for at least one year. If you wish to stay on the list, please contact us each year and we will be happy to update our list. Please include the following information:
- Position you are interested in (officers or support staff)
- Please specify if you have previous law enforcement experience, education, or other work that is relevant.