|Other Link||Parks Department Page|
About the Park
Patterson Park is named after Colonel James Alexander Patterson, the first white settler in Lynden. Patterson had built a cabin in 1860, (was located just south of 6th and Front streets) Patterson and his Native American wife had lived there for most of the decade. At some point in the late 1860s his wife left him, and Patterson began to search for a foster home for his two young daughters. Patterson frequently visited Holden and Phoebe Judson's home on Whidbey Island.
Patterson made an offer to the Judson's that he would swap his home and land in what was then known among the settlers as "Nooksack" if the Judson's would care for his two young daughters, Dollie and Nellie. The Judson's agreed, and Patterson executed a quitclaim deed to his land in favor of Phoebe Judson in March 1870.
The Judson's later built what Phoebe Judson would refer to as her ideal home, "a home that should be built by a mountain stream that flowed to the Pacific…and nothing should obstruct our view of the beautiful, snow-capped mountains".
You too can enjoy this property as Colonel Patterson and the Judson's did decades ago. With pristine view of Mt. Baker and the Twin Sister Mountains, while playing the 9 hole Disc Golf Course, while enjoying a picnic lunch or walking the paths of Patterson Park.
Patterson Park is approximately 2 acres, additional 2 acres of the disc golf course property was purchased by the Lynden Regional Park and Recreation District. Many Lynden Community Members volunteered to design and install the disc golf course.
- Alcohol is not allowed
- No Overnight Stay or Parking
- No Motorized Vehicles allowed on the Trails or Disc Golf Course
- No Harvesting or collecting living or dead material
- All pets must be kept on a leash
- Pack out garbage and use garbage/recycling receptacles
- Park Closes at Dusk
- The Disc Golf Course will be closed during the winter months
- Park amenities include Paved and Gravel Parking lot, Gravel Paths, and a Disc Golf Course